Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Thanks Everyone!

It’s been five months, seven days, five hours, and three minutes since the fire. I have nothing but pleasurable memories from the past five years that I spent here in Cortland. I’m not going to pronounce that my living in the Clocktower Building the year that it burned down was a pleasant thing (I would by no means wish that upon anyone)—however; I suppose that it has truly been a constructive, eye-opening, experience for me.

Now, roughly one half year later, I can admit, with ease, that it is the city of Cortland that lost much more than I did that day.

It would be erroneous if I were to claim that on that date (or even many weeks to follow) I was more concerned about a time piece building than my book collection. But, now that most of my books are replaced…, I look back at that fire and see the huge hole that was left in the town where I have spent the past five years of my life…

Because of this, and Lloyd’s persuasive manor when he spoke to our class, I knew right away that the Downtown Cortland project would be perfect for me. Everyone in the town of Cortland (not just SUNY) was unbelievably bighearted to me at that time. I hope to use this opportunity as a feeble attempt to say thank you…

No comments: