Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Update


A little update for you folks: I have already written two blogs for the Downtown Cortland Project. Unfortunately though, we are having some problems putting the site together. I am assuming the biggest issue is the fact that we all have such busy schedules and therefore have not been able to sit down and wrestle this thing together. But, alas, I think that I’m just going to make a suggestion, to Lloyd and company that we just create two links on the main page of the Downtown Cortland site. Lloyd wanted the blogs to be located on the left and right side of this page. Instead, I would think that it would be the easiest and most affordable compromise to put a link on the left side for Katie’s blog and a link on the right side for my blog. There are a couple of reasons why this would work out…

First off, Katie had an issue of calling her blog: The Blue Frog Blog (and rightfully so; I know I wouldn’t want to call my blog that if I worked for another coffee shop). If we had links to two separate Blogger sites, she could name her blog one thing and I could name mine another. Therefore, the naming would not be an issue any longer.

Secondly, we have learned that the Downtown Cortland site’s host, FatCow, doesn’t have blogging capabilities. Therefore, it would be rather impossible for us to put the blog right up on the website (from what I understand). It is not impossible, however, for us to put a link on the main page that would transfer our readers to our respective blogs.

Also, using Blogger over typepad has some advantages. To start off, it’s free. Secondly Katie and I already have another Blog through this website, so we would be able to set it up, and be familiar with how to use it. I would even be able to incorporate pictures of downtown Cortland if I wanted!

Lastly, it would be perfect for us to use because it would be a real, live, and un-cut blog. We would both be able to write down our ideas and publish them immediately. I, myself, think that this would be the most effective presentation. Also, readers would be able to comment right on the website, rather than having to e-mail me (I know I already have a ton of junk mail).

So those are the reasons why I think I am going to suggest to Lloyd, and our professors, that this is what we do.

As for the content on the blog, I have some good news… I already wrote two posts and I have a ton of ideas still brewing! What I thought was going to be a hard process is easy! Going down to The Blue Frog really did help!

I believe the next step is to talk to Dr. Reid and Dr. Stearns in class and get the go ahead. Then I will contact Lloyd and hopefully within the next couple of days, our blogs will be up and running!

As for the wiki—I’m impressed! It’s really starting to come along. I just have one question: would it be inappropriate to create pages that are somewhat or even totally irrelevant to our class, for fun? That’s all for now. Cheers.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Ray,

I have also heard good things about wordpress (another free blogging site). It might be worth checking out before you make a final decision.

Can you tell me more about how you are interacting with the wiki? Which entries are you editing? I guess I'm still feeling a little timid about it. This week's goal is to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

re: wiki pp....on absolutely anything...create away Ray.

KatieL said...

Ray!!!! You didn't tell me you wrote two posts already!!! Ok now I look like a slacker. Send me what you wrote, maybe that will help inspire me. I think I want to write about the 40 Below Summit. I probably should have stayed longer but it was kind of boring. Maybe we can check out the Red Jug opening this weekend. How's Lily?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ray, browsing for new content. Karen